Sponge cakes for Birthday cakes
- 150g soft butter
- 150g plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Pre-heat the oven 180°C. Butter 2 round cake tins thoroughly.
Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl. Beat the eggs in a small bowl, then add a little at a time, stirring in well.
Sieve the flour and the baking powder into the mixture and mix well.
Pour half into each tin and place in oven for 20-25 minutes. Check they're cooked with the tip of a knife, which should come out dry.
Use a jam, cream or chocolate filling, spread evenly between the two cakes, placing one on top of the other.
Decorate with icing sugar, chocolate icing, sweets or smarties...whatever takes your fancy!
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- French Calissons (almost) like in... 3.6/5 (157 Votes)
- Macaroons 3.7/5 (111 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Vanilla Sponge Cake with Chocolate... 4.2/5 (72 Votes)
- Chartreuse marshmallows 3.2/5 (162 Votes)
- Cake filled with Nutella and... 2.1/5 (59 Votes)
- Hello Kitty cake 2.1/5 (46 Votes)