Thai Green Chicken Curry (Gaeng Khiao Wan Gai)
Gaeng Khiao Wan Gai or to give it an English name, Green Curry with Chicken, is one of the most popular dishes in Thailand. Almost every visiting tourist will encounter Green Curry, as it is found on every restaurant menu in one form or another.
- 500g skinless
- boneless chicken (in bite sized pieces)
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Green curry paste
- 1 tablespoon Palm sugar
- 1-2 stalks Thai Lemongrass
- 6-8 Fresh Kaffir lime leaves
- torn into pieces
- 200g Thai Eggplant
- 400ml (1 can) Coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon of Thai fish sauce
- Small handful of Thai Coriander
- roughly chopped
- Thai Basil and Thai Red Chillies (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
1. Cut the chicken up into smallish bite size pieces (Tip: try and use breast or leg meat).
2. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the green curry paste and sugar and cook over a fairly high heat for about a minute, stirring with the lemongrass.
Add the coconut milk slowly, and continue to stir while cooking until a thin film of oil appears on the surface.
3. Reduce the heat slightly and stir in the chicken and other ingredients except the eggplant. Bring to a boil and cook until the chicken begins to change colour. Adjust the flavours to suit yourself.
When it is at a boil again add the eggplant and continue till the chicken is cooked through.
4. Let the curry sit for a few minutes so the sauce becomes creamier. You will also taste the true flavours of the curry paste ingredients when it's slightly cooler.
Garnish with Thai basil and chopped Thai red chilli. Serve with lots of fragrant Thai jasmine rice, in a beautiful rice serving bowl.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Dumplings Without Using Suet 3.6/5 (276 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (173 Votes)
- Apple Rose Cake 3.8/5 (164 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (191 Votes)
- Stir fried Garlic Beef with Oyster... 3.5/5 (153 Votes)
- Vegetable Supercurry 3.4/5 (151 Votes)
- homemade sausage rolls 3.4/5 (151 Votes)
- Pork & Pears 3.5/5 (144 Votes)