Lemon or lime drizzle cake
This recipe will make 2 cakes
- 280g softened
- unsalted butter
- 280g caster sugar
- 280g self raising flour
- 5 eggs
- finely grated zest of 2 lemons/6 limes
- juice of 2 lemons/6 limes
- 170g caster sugar
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Heat oven to fan 160c. Beat together the butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy. Then add the eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.
Sift in the flour and then add the zest of the lemons/limes and mix until well combined.
Line 2 loaf tins (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon. Bake for 45-50 minutes until a thin skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
While the cakes are cooling, mix together the lemon/lime juice and the caster sugar to make the drizzle. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, and then pour over the drizzle. The juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely crisp topping.
Leave in the tin until completely cool.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (231 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Lemon Ice Lollies with Liquorice... 3.6/5 (138 Votes)
- The ultimate makeover: Fish & chips 4.1/5 (92 Votes)
- Coronation Chicken 3.6/5 (103 Votes)
- Papaya and Lime Frosties 3.3/5 (124 Votes)
- Smoothie Totally Tropical 3.3/5 (103 Votes)