Simple Coffee cake
For all your Coffee needs
- For the cake
- 225g/8oz unsalted butter
- plus extra for greasing
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 50ml/1¾fl oz strong espresso coffee
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 75g/2½oz walnuts
- For the butter cream topping
- 125g/4½oz unsalted butter
- 200g/7oz icing sugar
- 50ml/2fl oz strong espresso coffee
- 12 walnut halves
- to decorate
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until very light and pale.
Add the eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mixture, beating well to completely incorporate each egg before adding the next egg.
Add the espresso to the mixture and stir well.
Add the flour and walnuts and stir well to completely combine.
Spoon the cake mixture into two lined and greased 20cm/8in cake tins.
Transfer to the oven to bake 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean and the cake is golden-brown.
Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
For the butter cream topping, beat the butter and icing sugar together in a small bowl until pale and light.
Add the espresso and mix well.
Spread the butter cream over the top of each cake, then place one cake on top of the other.
Decorate the top of the cake with the walnut halves and serve in generous slices.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (234 Votes)
- 5 minute chocolate fondant mug... 3.7/5 (234 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Easiest Shortbread Recipe EVER. 3.4/5 (204 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (202 Votes)
- Apple Rose Cake 3.7/5 (166 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Easy chocolate yoghurt cake 4.4/5 (119 Votes)