Charlotte Strawberry and Rhubarb
- 600g strawberries
- 600g rhubarb
- 5 sheets of gelatine
- 100 to 150g of sugar
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- sponge fingers
- 1 tablespoon of rum
- Grenadine syrup or strawberry or red fruit squash
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 20mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Peel the rhubarb and cut into small dice. Cut the strawberries into cubes and put all the fruit in a saucepan with the sugar. Cook like making a jam and leave to cool.
Put the gelatine in a bowl of cold water to soften. Once the is lukewarm, add the gelatine and cream.
Take a cake tin, line it with clingfilm, larger than the tin, leaving about 15 cm of film hanging over on on each side.
In a bowl put some grenadine syrup, 1 tablespoon of rum and water (or add more grenadine for stronger coloured pink cookies or add a little red food colouring).
Line the bottom and sides of the tin with soaked sponge fingers. Then add the rhubarb and strawberry preparation and close with more soaked sponge fingers. Cover with clingfilm and wrap the whole tin in film.
Once the tin is tightly closed, place a milk bottle or a tin can as a weight on top and refrigerate for minimum 12 hours.
After 12 hours, remove from the tin and it's ready to be scoffed!
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Non-alcoholic Mojito Smoothie! 4.6/5 (803 Votes)
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (454 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (173 Votes)
- Mille-feuille of asparagus and... 3.3/5 (213 Votes)
- Greek salad 3.7/5 (113 Votes)
- Rum Cake Balls 3.7/5 (109 Votes)
- Rhubarb Crumble 3.5/5 (127 Votes)
- Rhubarb Cake with Meringue topping 3.4/5 (131 Votes)