Simple Peperonata (Italian Stew)
Vegetarian, Vegan, Dairy free, Gluten free
- 2 red peppers - halved seeded & sliced
- 60ml olive oil
- Medium onion - thinly sliced
- 6 plum tomatoes - chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp honey
- A few basil leaves - chopped
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
Cost Average budget
Prepare the peppers, onion, tomatoes and basil.
Heat the oil in a shallow frying pan and add the onion. Stir and cover, cooking until translucent for about 3 minutes. Then add the red pepper. Stir, cover and allow to cook for a few minutes again.
Add the tomatoes and turn the hob down to a low heat. Cook the mixture for 30-40 minutes until its juices have gathered properly. Check the pepper and onion are ready and very softened.
Taste the stew and add salt, pepper, honey if necessary and the basil leaves.
It can be served immediately, or left to cool and refrigerated for up to two days.
Can be used as a sandwich filling, once the juices have been drained
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (453 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (173 Votes)
- Dumplings Without Using Suet 3.5/5 (176 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (191 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.