Thai Coconut Custard Dessert (Khanom Krok) ขนมครก
khanom krok are little half moon shaped cups made of a thin, crispy outer layer with a super soft inner coconut layer.
- Outer Layer Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons cooked jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup finely grated unsweetened coconut
- 8 Tablespoons club soda
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Inner Layer Ingredients:
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- green onion
- or pumpkin for toppings
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
1. Make the inner layer by combining all of the ingredients and mixing until smooth.
Next make the outer layer. Mix all ingredients except the cooked jasmine rice, coconut flakes, and 2 tablespoons of the club soda. Pound or blend the rice and coconut flakes with the 2 tablespoons of club soda until they form a fine paste and then incorporate into the rest of the ingredients you just mixed.
2. Heat your seasoned khanom krok pan over medium heat. If you're not able to find a khanom krok pan, an Ebelskiver pan apparently works just as well.
Add a drop of canola oil (~1/8 teaspoon) to each well and let it get hot. It should be hot enough that when you add the batter it sizzles.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of the outer layer to each well and then lift the pan (using a pan holder - it's hot!) and swirl it until the batter forms a thin layer around the entire well.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of the inner layer to each well to fill it. If you want to add toppings, add them at this point. Then, cover the pan with a top and let it steam for about 5-6 minutes until the bottom layer is golden brown and the top layer is fairly solid.
Using a butter knife, gently lift each custard from the pan. Serve the khanom krok in pairs of two.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (456 Votes)
- Dumplings Without Using Suet 3.6/5 (287 Votes)
- Instant Custard 4.7/5 (129 Votes)
- Strawberry Trifle with Ambrosia... 3.6/5 (175 Votes)
- Stir fried Garlic Beef with Oyster... 3.5/5 (153 Votes)
- Vegetable Supercurry 3.4/5 (151 Votes)
- Chaing-Mai Sticky Rice with Mango 3.5/5 (145 Votes)
- Coriander chicken 3.3/5 (149 Votes)