Made these lovely Breakfast Bars yesterday inspired by a twitter link from Nigella Lawson. Other than the condensed milk, the ingredients are super healthy and these bars taste much nicer that the cereal ones that you can buy. I had lots of seeds left over from making the Seeded Spelt Crackers which were perfect for this recipe.
Feel free to use the recipe as a template. You could use varied types of nuts and dried fruits, chocolate chips (not so healthy then) and even add cinnamon or drizzle the top with chocolate. These Breakfast Bars come together in minutes and bake for an hour – who could ask for more?!
- 1 x 397 g can caramel condensed milk (or use plain)
- 250 g rolled oats (not instant)
- 75 g shredded coconut
- 100 g dried berry mix – mine had raisins
- cranberries and cherries
- 125 g mixed seeds (pumpkin
- 100 g flaked almonds
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 130°C/250ºF and oil a 23 x 33 x 4cm / 9 x 13 inch baking tin, or use one of those disposable foil trays if you have one lurking around from the summer which is what I did.
Measure out all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well to distribute evenly.
Heat the caramel condensed milk in a large pan and when it is warm, give it a good stir and take if off the heat.
Stir in the dry ingredients and give it a good mix.
Scrape it out into the prepared pan and pat it out as evenly as you can.
Bake for one hour, checking after 50 minutes.
Let cool for 15 minutes then, using a long knife, slice into four long bars, then give it a quarter turn and slice into four again. Store in an air tight tin.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (202 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (155 Votes)
- Mason Jar Turkey Cranberry Salad 4.8/5 (49 Votes)
- Kinder Bueno Cake 3.3/5 (158 Votes)
- Low Fat Cranberry & Walnut Muffins 4.2/5 (79 Votes)
- Cranberry Sauce with Jalapeno... 4.7/5 (32 Votes)