Chicken and Mushroom Lasagne
Eaten with Garlic Bread
- 1 onion
- 2 leeks
- washed and sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 350g (12oz) closed cup mushrooms
- 30ml (2 tbsp) hot vegetable stock
- 225g (8oz) small broccoli florets
- 40g (1½ oz) butter/margarine
- 40g (1½ oz) plain flour
- 850ml (1 ½ pints) semi skimmed milk
- 175g (6oz) British Mature Cheddar Cheese
- 280g (10 oz) cooked skinless
- boneless chicken breast
- 5-10ml (1-2 tsp) finely chopped fresh tarragon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 sheets no pre cook lasagne
- fresh herb sprigs
- to garnish
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Place the onion, leeks, garlic and mushrooms in a saucepan with the stock and cook gently for about 10 mins, until the vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, drain off the liquid and set aside.
Meanwhile, cook the broccoli florets in a saucepan of boiling water for 2 mins. Drain well and set aside.
Place the butter/margarine, flour and milk in a saucepan and heat gently, whisking continuously, until the sauce comes to the boil and thickens slightly. Simmer gently for 3 mins, stirring.
Reserve about half the sauce. Stir 140g (5oz) of cheese into the remaining sauce, stirring until melted, then add the vegetables, chicken, tarragon and seasoning and mix well.
Spoon half the chicken mixture over the base of a shallow ovenproof dish or baking tin. Cover this with half the pasta. Repeat these layers, then pour the remaining sauce over the pasta to cover it completely and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180o C/ 350o F/ Gas Mark 4 for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling. Garnish with fresh herb sprigs and serve with a mixed leaf salad and fresh crusty bread.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Apple Rose Cake 3.8/5 (164 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (155 Votes)
- Parmentier de Confit de Canard 3.7/5 (144 Votes)
- Full English Breakfast 3.4/5 (156 Votes)
- Leek,onion and mushroom pie 3.8/5 (112 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.