Zigeuner Sauce (Gypsy Sauce)
This gourmet sauce, Zigeuner Sauce, is a German classic perfect for a schnitzel or side dish.
- 3 medium sliced onions
- Olive Oil (for sautéing)
- 6 peppers sliced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomato purée
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- ¼ Teaspoon ground paprika
- ¼ Teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup of brown sugar (maybe more - to taste)
- Tip of a knife cayenne pepper
- 4 - 5 cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons (approx.) cornflour mixed with cold water
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Average budget
Heat oil and sauté the onions & garlic, add sliced pepper, tomatoes and tomato paste.
Stir very well; add 4-5 cups of cold water and spices then bring to boil for one minute and then add dissolved cornflour and stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
Make the sauce as thick as you like.
A sauce for spaghetti, penne, and other types of pasta (16-18 servings).
It can also be served on fillets of meat, pizzas, and crostini.
Toss in some cooked Chorizo.
Add more Paprika for a richer red sauce.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Dumplings Without Using Suet 3.7/5 (442 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (232 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (175 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (192 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.6/5 (161 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (166 Votes)
- Stir fried Garlic Beef with Oyster... 3.5/5 (156 Votes)