Roasted Tomato Soup
A Mediterranean version of a family classic.
- 1kg tomatoes
- ½ onion
- 1 garlic bulb
- 2 red bell peppers
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 400g tinned baked beans
- 200ml red wine
- 1 tbsp of sugar or sweetener
- 1 tbsp of worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 55mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Deseed and halve the red bell peppers, peel the garlic and place them together with the whole tomatoes on a roasting tray sprinkle the vegetables with dried Italian seasoning and cook at 200°C for 45 minutes.
Whilst the vegetables are roasting, finely chop the onion and fry in a tsp of vegetable oil or spray oil until translucent.
To the fried onions add the tinned chopped tomatoes, the tinned baked beans, the red wine, the worcestershire sauce and the balsamic vinegar, and simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.
Once the roasted vegetables have begun to char remove from the oven and add to the onion mix. (If you have a cast iron casserole dish it is easier to roast the vegetables in this and then add the onion mix to the roasted vegetables.)
Add a handful of fresh chopped basil.
Use a handblender to puree the soup, if it is too thick add a little water until it is to the desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on a low heat for 10 more minutes.
Try a little parmesan sprinkled on top.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (363 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (241 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (212 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (176 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.2/5 (197 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)