Hearty meatball bake
Quick and easy to throw together and sit down on a cold night.
- 12 beef meatballs
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 courgette diced
- 1 red chilli deseeded
- chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic chopped fine
- 1 red onion diced
- 6-10 mushrooms quartered
- 1 tin 400g chopped tomatoes
- 100g tomato puree
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp sage
- 1/2 tbsp dried cumin
- 2 slices bread for breadcrumbs
- Chinese 5 spice to coat meatballs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150g grated cheese
- salt & pepper to season
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Coat the meatballs in the Chinese 5 spice.
Heat the oil in a wok on a medium heat and fry the meatballs until coloured all over.
Add the onion, chilli and garlic. Fry until softened but don't colour.
Add the courgette, pepper and mushrooms. Fry until softened.
Pour in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, stir thoroughly.
Add the smoked paprika, thyme, sage and cumin. Stir thoroughly.
Blitz the bread slices to make breadcrumbs and mix together with the grated cheese in a bowl.
Transfer the meatball mix to an oven proof dish and top with the breadcrumb and cheese mix.
Bake in a pre heated oven 200* until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Serve in a big bowl in front of a good movie.
You can use any vegetables you have to hand but these ingredients make a nice ragout to compliment the tomato meatball sauce.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (453 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (211 Votes)
- 5 minute chocolate fondant mug... 3.7/5 (216 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- The best sarnie in the... 3.6/5 (160 Votes)
- Stir fried Garlic Beef with Oyster... 3.5/5 (153 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.