My mum's tomato soup
Filling and delicious, I haven't found a better recipe yet.
- Large punnet of Cherry or baby plum tomatoes
- 1 tin chopped tomato
- 2 stock cubes
- 1 large potato
- 1 large onion
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Tomato Puree
- 1 orange
- lime or lemon (optional)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic
- Dash of tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp chopped chillies or paprika
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Average budget
Peel and cube potato then place in water to heat on the hob for 10-15 minutes until softened.
Sauté onion in olive oil with garlic until golden brown
Add tomatoes, seasoning and potato cubes. Heat for approx 20 minutes or until all ingredients feel soft and mushy.
Add juice of one lemon, lime or orange (optional)
Blend until desired consistency. Sieve for very smooth results.
You can add other items to this soup with ease. Try butter-nut squash, celery, spinach, leek, sweetcorn, parsnip or swede.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (211 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (173 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (191 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.