- 55g butter
- 1 small onion
- finely chopped
- 450g tomatoes chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp. plain flour
- 600ml milk
- salt and pepper
- sprigs of fresh basil to garnish
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Melt half the butter in the saucepan. Add the onion and cook over a low heat for 5-6 minutes until softened. Add the tomatoes and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 mins.
Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in another saucepan. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return to the heat, season with salt and pepper and bring to boil. Continue to cook until smooth and thickened.
When the tomatoes are pulpy, remove from the heat. Discard the bay leaf and pour the tomato mixture into a blender. Process until smooth, then push through a sieve into a clean saucepan. Bring the tomato mixture to boil, then gradually stir in the milk mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with basil and serve.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Non-alcoholic Mojito Smoothie! 4.6/5 (803 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (231 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (175 Votes)
- Cold Beetroot Soup 5/5 (63 Votes)
- Baba Ganoush 3.5/5 (151 Votes)
- Italian Meat Balls in Tomato Sauce 3.6/5 (145 Votes)