Really tasty and light, not sweet like when used with commercial sauce!
- 500 g Large Prawns
- Tiger Prawns (Garnish)
- Lemon or Cucumber Slices (As a garnish
- cut slice from centre to one edge
- twist open edges in opposite directions).
- 4 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Double Cream
- 2 Teaspoons Tomato Ketchup
- Dash Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Iceberg Lettuce (Shredded
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cost Average budget
Blend 4 Tbls Mayonnaise with 2 Tbls Double Cream.
Add 2 Tsps Tomato Sauce & a dash of Worcestershire Sauce (I use double this quantity for a large bag of prawns).
Rinse the Prawns & fold 2/3 into the mixture with 1 Tsp of Lemon Juice. (This mixture can be done in advance a few hours earlier, and helps the flavouring of the sauce. The lettuce can also be shredded in advance to save time, cover both & leave in the fridge).
Just prior to serving, place the shredded lettuce into the individual dishes, add the prawn mixture, top with the remaining 1/3 Prawns (this way you get a varied taste rather than all the prawns coated in the sauce).
Top the dish with either a twisted slice of lemon or cucumber (or both together for more colour), hang three large Tiger Prawns around the outside of the dish.
I serve this mostly as a starter for the Christmas meal, we tend not to have breakfast so we can enjoy the meal.
I serve a large prawn cocktail which we have about an hour before the main meal one, it stops hungry pre-dinner nibbling and two, it gives you time to digest ready for the main meal.
This also gets the family festivities going as you can sit around the table with a glass of wine and chat at a leisurely pace while the next course cooks itself.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (363 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- King langoustines with early... 3.5/5 (168 Votes)
- ultimate makeover: Fish pie 4.2/5 (86 Votes)
- Healthy homemade thai prawn curry 3.7/5 (120 Votes)
- Roasted Tomato Soup 3.4/5 (139 Votes)
- Elder-Rose Spritz 3.6/5 (64 Votes)