Avocado with Prawn Marie Rose
Lovely tasty zingy Starter
- 500g small Atlantic prawns with shells on
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- 4 little gem lettuces
- 2 ripe but firm hass avocados
- 1 teasp. chilli powder
- 4 small crevettes
- Cocktail sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teasp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tablsp. lemon juice
- 2 tablsp. tomato ketchup
- 1 tablsp. tomato purée
- 1 teasp. brandy
- 2 teasps. chilli sauce
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 5mins
For roasted prawn oil, peel the prawns & put the shells to one side.
Heat veg. oil in a saucepan & add shells. Keep bashing the heads to extract the juice & fry for 3-4 mins. until shells turn lightly golden. Leave to cool & infuse for 20 mins., then strain through a fine sieve. Throw out shells & leave to oil to cool to room temp.
For the cocktail sauce, place yolks, mustard, vinegar & seasoning in a bowl. Combine olive oil & prawn oil in a jug. Beat egg mixture with an electric whisk & very slowly trickle in the oils until half has been used
up, (mayo should be stable). Speed up the pour until combined to make a thick wobbly mayo. Season with lemon juice, salt & pepper, mix in ketchup, purée, brandy & chilli sauce.
Divide lettuce leaves between the plates & add some squeezed lemon juice. Place ½ a stoned avocado on ea. & squeeze over more lemon. Add salt, split prawns between plates & spoon over 1-2 tbsp. of cocktail sauce. Sprinkle with chilli powder & top with a crevette to serve.
To keep it classic, replace roasted prawn oil with the same vol. of veg. oil & swap the chilli sauce for ½ teasp. of tabasco and the chilli powder for cayenne pepper.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tasty Southwest Quesadilla 3.9/5 (178 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (191 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.7/5 (160 Votes)
- Lamb Samosa 3.3/5 (186 Votes)
- Zigeuner Sauce (Gypsy Sauce) 3.4/5 (147 Votes)
- King langoustines with early... 3.5/5 (163 Votes)
- Chilli To Blow Your Mind 3.6/5 (132 Votes)
- ultimate makeover: Fish pie 4.2/5 (86 Votes)