Spicy Parsnip and Rice Soup
In winter I love to make lots of soups. They are warming comfort food. To make a filling soup, I usually include something like rice, pasta, barley, lentils or noodles. This recipe includes Taos Lightning to give it that special zing.
- 400g parsnips
- 100g long grain rice
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Taos Lightning Chilli Powder blend (or similar)
- 500 ml milk
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Bring a small amount of water to the boil in a large saucepan and add the rice.
Peel and chop the parsnips into small pieces.
Crumble the stock cube into a jug. Boil kettle and pour 500 ml boiling water into the jug. Stir to dissolve stock cube.
Add parsnips to the saucepan. Add sufficient stock to the saucepan to cover the parsnips.
Add Taos Lightning chilli powder blend (or similar). Season with salt and pepper.
Simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes until rice and parsnips are soft.
Put half in a blender and blend till smooth.
Meanwhile roughly mash remainder with a potato masher, so some remains chunky.
Add blended portion and milk and heat through.
Serve with crusty bread and enjoy.
Homemade rosemary croutons are nice with this.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Cold Beetroot Soup 5/5 (63 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.7/5 (160 Votes)
- Mason Jar Turkey Cranberry Salad 4.8/5 (49 Votes)
- Chaing-Mai Sticky Rice with Mango 3.5/5 (145 Votes)
- Eleanor's Vegetable Egg Fried Rice 3.5/5 (145 Votes)
- Noisettes 3.9/5 (112 Votes)
- Quick Carrot & Coriander Soup 3.5/5 (121 Votes)