Tuna inspired salad
All the taste of tuna mayo, without the tuna!
- 1 cup soaked sunflower seeds
- 1 cup of soaked cashew nuts
- Juice of a lemon
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup carrot pulp (pulp from 2 large carrots)
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 spring onions
- sliced (you could also use 1/2 red onion)
- 2-3 tbsp drained capers
- Big pinch of arame
- soaked to rehydrate then roughly chopped
- The fresh corn from 1 cob (or about 1 cups worth)
- Big handful of fresh coriander
- chopped fine
- Ground black pepper to taste
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Average budget
Add the seeds, cashews, sea salt and lemon juice to a food processor and process until the consistency is like tuna mayo! You want to blend it enough to create almost a sauce, but you want some texture too. I find I have to stop the machine and scrape down the sides 3 or 4 times to get the perfect consistency.
Add the carrot and celery and process again until the mixture is slightly loser- the moisture from the celery helps create a real mayonnaise look!
Tip out into a bowl and add the remaining ingredients, stir well.
Serve this up with bread of your choice and some crisp romaine lettuce leaves for a tuna-less salad that won't disappoint!
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Non-alcoholic Mojito Smoothie! 4.6/5 (803 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (173 Votes)
- Mason Jar Turkey Cranberry Salad 4.8/5 (49 Votes)
- Lemon Ice Lollies with Liquorice... 3.6/5 (137 Votes)
- The ultimate makeover: Fish & chips 4.1/5 (91 Votes)
- Pumpkin and cinnamon jam 3.4/5 (149 Votes)
- Healthy Carrot Soup 3.3/5 (116 Votes)