Tuna Mornay Crumble
Best way to eat tuna other than sushi. filling and hearty meal.
- 4 x 185g tins of Tuna (in Brine or spring water)
- 60g Butter
- 90g grated Cheddar Cheese (I use Vintage)
- 2 tablespoons Plain Flour
- 500ml Milk
- half teaspoon Mustard Powder
- 2 hard boiled Eggs (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons fresh White Breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely Chopped Chives ( have also used Spring Onions or Parsley)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 180*C (gas mark 4).
Melt butter in a small saucepan, turn the heat down then slowly add the flour while stirring.
lift pan off heat and pour milk in slowly stirring it to make a sauce.
Put pan back on medium to high heat and stir while it boils until thickened.
Turn to low heat and allow to simmer for 2 minutes
Remove again, add mustard and a couple of handfuls of cheese (about two thirds). Whisk until smooth
Drain tuna, break it up in the tin with a fork.
Put tuna in to pan with cheese sauce.
Add chopped egg and chives, stir well.
Salt and Pepper to taste
Put into a medium/large sized oven-proof dish (depends on if you want to add more tuna)
In a bowl mix breadcrumbs and cheese.
Cover the mornay with the breadcrumb/cheese topping.
Can top with more cheese if you want a cheesy top layer or sprinkle paprika over the top for colour
Put in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden on top.
Once done, serve with spinach or salad
For the breadcrumbs, I normally break them up about an hour before staring the prep work for the Mornay as it makes them a little harder - you don't want them too hard or they won't take up some flavour.
Make sure your cheese sauce is smooth and correct, it can ruin the whole dish if not done properly.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (241 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (156 Votes)
- Masala Fish Goujons with... 3.6/5 (149 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Chicken and Mushroom Lasagne 4.2/5 (80 Votes)
- Scotch Eggs 4/5 (90 Votes)
- Fajitas 3.4/5 (128 Votes)
- Bacon, Egg & Asparagus 3.3/5 (128 Votes)