The Perfect Soft-Boiled Egg
Think of it as something like the egg white of a poached egg with a yolk of a half-boiled egg, but better - it is the perfect soft-boiled egg.
- 1 egg
- Kitchen thermometer
- (optional) 0.5 tsp bonito sauce
- (optional) 0.5 tsp soy sauce
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Budget Friendly
With a pot on the hob, bring your water up to the optimum temperature range of 65-70 degrees Celsius. I’m afraid the only way to do it is with a kitchen thermometer, so simply stick it in and leave the guesswork aside.
Subsequently, the key is to find a heat setting on your hob that allows it to maintain the water at that temperature range. This is very important.
Lower the eggs into the pot gently and cook away for 40 minutes. Be sure to keep on eye on that thermometer, checking it from time to time, adjusting the heat accordingly to keep the eggs cooking in water that is 65-70 degrees Celsius.
After 40 minutes, remove the eggs from the pot and plunge it into cold water to stop it from cooking further. When it is cool enough to handle, crack the shell open and gently release the egg into a serving bowl of warm bonito-soy sauce-water mixture. Having it simple with a small splash of soy sauce works fine as well!
Devour demurely before the egg gets cold.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Dumplings Without Using Suet 3.6/5 (392 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (230 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (202 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (175 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (156 Votes)
- Croque mademoiselle 3.5/5 (163 Votes)
- Peppermint Creams 3.7/5 (144 Votes)