Spiced Carrot & Lentil Soup
A delicious, spicy blend, packed full of iron and low fat to boot. It's ready in under half an hour or can be made in a slow cooker.
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600g carrots
- washed and coarsely grated (no need to peel)
- 140g split red lentils
- 1litre hot vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
- 125ml milk (warm milk first slightly to avoid it curdling when added to stock)
- Plain yogurt and naan bread
- to serve
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas. Scoop out about half of the seeds with a spoon and set aside. Add the oil, carrot, lentils, stock and milk to the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.
Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth (or leave it chunky if you prefer). Season to taste and finish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices. Serve with warmed naan breads.
Nutrition: Calories – 238 Protein - 11g Carbs - 34g Fat - 7g Saturates - 1g Fibre - 5g Salt - 0.25g
Substitute the chilli flakes and cumin seeds for a few teaspoons of harissa paste. You could add cooked shredded chicken at the end of cooking, too.
For a richer but dairy-free alternative, use a can of reduced-fat coconut milk instead of the milk.
Place half the cumin seeds, half the chilli flakes, the oil, carrots, lentils and 700ml stock into your slow cooker pot. Cover and cook on High for 3 hours until the lentils are tender. Dry-fry the remaining cumin seeds and chilli flakes just until fragrant. When the lentils are done, stir in the milk and whizz up the soup depending on how chunky you'd like it.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (468 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (363 Votes)
- 5 minute chocolate fondant mug... 3.7/5 (236 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (212 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- Hearty meatball bake 3.4/5 (177 Votes)
- King langoustines with early... 3.5/5 (168 Votes)
- Carrot Pickle (Gajar Ka Achar) 4.2/5 (81 Votes)