Indian Curry Christmas Pie
Family recipe for vegetarians at Xmas
- FOR PASTRY BASES (makes 2)
- 1Lb (16oz) Plain Flour
- 8oz Butter or Margarine
- Large pinch of Salt
- 1/4 Cup of Water
- (Baking beans
- Greaseproof paper
- Cling film and 2 Pie dishes).
- FOR PIE FILLING (makes 2)
- 1/2 Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 3 Potatoes
- 5 Cauliflower Florets
- 5 Mushrooms (cut into 20 slices in total)
- 100g Green Beans
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Tsp's Mild Korma Curry Powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil to fry
- Grated Cheese and sliced tomatoes (to assemble pie)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Budget Friendly
FOR PASTRY BASES
Use your hands to mix the flour, salt and butter to a crumble mixture. Add the water and mix to a dough.
Split the dough into 2 pieces, wrap each piece in cling film and place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Grease the pie dishes, roll out the pastry and cover the dishes well ensuring the pastry is even all over. Prick with a fork all over, cover with Greaseproof paper, put the baking beans on top and bake in an oven on 190 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
FOR PIE MIX
Fry the garlic and onions in a small amount of oil until softened.
Add the potatoes and carrots , cover with water and simmer for 10 minutes (adding more water if needed).
Add the cauliflower florets, green beans and mushrooms and cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
Add the curry powder, salt to taste and reduce until cauliflower and all veg is soft and cooked through.
Cover pie cases with thin layer of grated cheese.
Split the filling between the 2 pies.
Cover completely with tomato slices and sprinkle grated cheese on top.
Bake in oven on 190 degrees for a further 15 minutes.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Easiest Shortbread Recipe EVER. 3.4/5 (203 Votes)
- Witchhat Gingerbread Cupcakes 4.6/5 (95 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.7/5 (160 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (165 Votes)
- Parmentier de Confit de Canard 3.7/5 (144 Votes)
- homemade sausage rolls 3.4/5 (151 Votes)
- Salmon en croute 4.7/5 (39 Votes)