Shepherd's Pie (beef mince)
- 3 large potatoes
- 1lb organic beef steak mince
- 1 large onion
- 1 organic beef stock cube
- Dash of Worcester sauce
- Enough water to cover ingredients in saucepan
- Organic Cheese for topping
- Knob of butter and dash of milk for mashed potatoes
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Peel potatoes and set on stove to cook
Roughly chop onions and add to pan along with the mince, Worcester sauce, stock cube and water. Bring to boil then simmer for as long as it takes the potatoes to cook.
When potatoes are cooked, drain and mash with a knob of butter and a dash of milk until mash is soft and creamy.
In a 10" square oven proof dish, use a slatted spoon to partially drain the mince as you transfer it from pan to dish (do not leave mince totally dry). The remaining gravy should be kept in the pan to thicken later.
Cover the mince with the mashed potato and use a fork to make tram lines in the potato. Grate cheese to taste on top of the mashed potato and cook in oven on gas mark 4 for 15mins or until the cheese has melted and browned.
When the pie is nearly ready to take out of the oven, thicken the remaining gravy by adding gravy granules, remembering to stir vigorously whilst adding the granules.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (453 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (211 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- Hearty meatball bake 3.4/5 (175 Votes)
- Parmentier de Confit de Canard 3.7/5 (144 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.