Raw pumpkin (ish) pie
A raw food twist on the classic pumpkin pie
- For the base:
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 7 meejool dates
- Pinch of himalayan or fine sea salt
- For the filling: Set 1:
- 2 cups of cubed squash (I used butternut)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Pinch of himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (you could use raw honey or yacon syrup)
- For the filling: Set 2:
- 1 cup of cashew nuts soaked overnight and drained
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of two big limes (3 smaller)
- 1 cup of nut milk- I used a mix of homemade cashew and hemp milk
- The seeds of 1 vanilla pod or 1/4 tsp alcohol and sugar free vanilla extract
- Just over 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil- around 85ml
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
First of all make your base. Blitz the nuts and seeds first until they re fine crumbs, then add the dates. Pulse the mixture until it forms a 'dough'. Press this out into a 22cm loose bottom flan/pie dish to form the crust and set aside while you make the filling.
The filling for this recipe is assembled in two parts to achieve maximum creamyness!
Tip set 1 ingredients into a food processor and blitz until as smooth a texture as you can achieve. It will still look quite 'rustic' at this stage, but don't worry-They'll get blended up later on to make it completely smooth. The smoother texture you can achieve now, the easier that will be!
Tip set 2 ingredients into a blender and blend until creamy smooth. Although this is quicker in a high speed blender, any blender will do, it will just take a little longer. Take the processed set 1 ingredients and add these also to the blender. Continue blending until well mixed and creamy- you don't want any lumps at this stage as this is the final stage of the filling.
Pour the mixture into the pie dish and pop in the fridge for around 6 hours (or overnight) until it has set. That's it! Serve with some raw vanilla ice cream.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (469 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (168 Votes)
- Pineapple and ginger cheesecake 3/5 (227 Votes)
- Roast Squash with Pear and Kiwi... 3.6/5 (157 Votes)
- Peppermint Creams 3.7/5 (146 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Gluten-free No-bake Banoffee Pie 3.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Green Tea with Ginger, Honey and... 4.7/5 (49 Votes)