Vegetable Shepherd's Pie
This meat-free alternative to shepherd's pie is as tasty and satisfying as a the lamb-filled original.
- 750g potatoes
- 1 small turnip
- 500g lentils
- 6 medium sized carrots
- 150g salted butter
- bunch of fresh parsley
- 3 large onions
- half a bunch of celery
- Vegetable stock cube plus any dried mixed herbs of your choice (herbes de provence are good)
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Peel and dice the onions, carrots, turnip and celery into a large saucepan with a dash of olive oil and on a medium heat.
After about 15 minutes and the vegetables have softened considerably, add the lentils and the herbs as well. Add a little bit of hot water and the vegetable stock cube and turn the heat down medium-low. If you are cooking your lentils from dry, you will need to have prepared them already by boiling them.
Peel the potatoes and put them in a pan of boiling water. Whilst they are boiling cut up the parsley, separating it from its stems. Once the potatoes are soft to the prick of a fork, but not completely falling apart, drain the water and mash them, adding the parsley and butter as you do this.
Place the vegetable mixture in an ovenproof bowl or dish and spread the potatoes over the top. Place the dish into a preheated oven at 180 degrees celsius. Once the top has turned a nice golden brown with darker overtones the dish is ready and can be taken out to cool and be served.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (211 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (173 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (191 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- Curried Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup 3.4/5 (128 Votes)
- Timeless Apple Pïe 4.6/5 (11 Votes)