New England Style Clam Chowder
By Gato Azul
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
If you are using fresh clams: in a large pot, place the cleaned clams on a bed of chopped onions or leeks and a little water, put the lid on the pot and heat on maximum heat. The clams are ready when they open. Reserve the cooking liquid.
In a large, deep frying pan, cook the thinly sliced bacon in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until almost crisp.
Add the onion and fry until browned and translucent.
Add the diced potatoes, clam juice, bay leaves, celery leaves or parsley and bring to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are tender. Add more liquid during cooking if necessary, but at the end, let the liquid reduce to almost nothing so it is very concentrated.
Add the milk and cream, thyme, and clams. Reheat and adjust the seasoning with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (211 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Chicken & thyme risotto 3.6/5 (167 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Shellfish on a bed of leeks 4.6/5 (31 Votes)