Chicken & Tarragon Suet Pudding
- Pie Filling.
- 1 sliced leek
- 1 chopped carrot
- 100g bacon lardons
- 1 clove of garlic
- 500g chicken thigh diced
- Tarragon Sauce.
- 20g butter
- 20g flour
- 300-350ml milk.
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 2 tsp of tarragon
- 1tsp dijon mustard
- splash of lemon juice
- Suet Pastry
- 190g self raising flour
- 100g beef suet
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 55-100 ml of water
- 1 egg yolk.
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 180mins
Cost Average budget
* Sweat of the carrots, leek and garlic on a low heat for about 10 mins. Fry off the bacon lardons and stir in the carrot and leek
mixture leave to cool.
* In a bowl mix together the suet, flour and salt until well combined.
* Gradually add enough water until the mixture comes together as a firm dough.
* Add the egg yolk and knead into the dough until well combined.
* Cover and chill the dough for at least 30 mins.
* Melt the butter into a sauce pan
* Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon over a medium heat. carefully not to burn it.
* Add the milk a bit at a time and whisk in. be carefull not to get lumps.
* Put the pan back on the heat and stir continuously until the sauce comes to the boil and thickens. Put onto a low heat and cook
for 5 mins. Then add in the other ingredients, taste and allow to cool for a bit.
Putting the Pie Together
* Grease the basin
* Roll out the pastry and lined the pudding basin, keeping abit of the pastry for the top.
* Stir in the chicken thigh into the bacon and leek mixture.
* Add half the tarragon sauce and mix well.
* Place the mixture into the pudding basin and pack well in.Leaving no spaces.
* Place the pastry top on and brush with milk.
* Place into your steaming pan and steam for 2hours 30 mins to 3 hours.
* When cooked lift out of steamer pan and leave to rest for a couple of mins.
* Warm up the extra sauce and turn out the pudding.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Mouhalabieh 3.6/5 (176 Votes)
- Love Heart Cookies 3.4/5 (167 Votes)
- Microwave Chocolate Pudding and... 3.4/5 (155 Votes)
- Sweet Dreamy Romantic Raspberry... 3.4/5 (153 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.