Meatballs and Mustard Mash
By john french
Meatballs in a rich gravy served with Mustard Mash - A real family favourite in our house on a cold winters evening.
- For the Meatballs
- 500g Minced Beef - Not too lean
- 1 Large Carrot Grated
- 1 Large Onion Grated
- Good pinch of Dried Mixed Herbs
- Salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- For the Gravy
- 1 Tin Oxtail Soup
- 1 heaped teaspoon Yeast Extract
- 1 heaped teaspoon Bisto Powder
- 1 Beef and 1 vegetable Stock Cube
- Boiling Water
- For the Mash
- 5 Medium Potatoes peeled and cut into even pieces
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 to 2 heaped teaspoons of Wholegrain Mustard
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 120mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 170c/325f/Gas 3
Chop Mince into small pieces and place in a large bowl with grated Onion, Carrot, Herbs, Salt and Pepper. Mix well. Form into 20 balls and place in large cassarole dish.
Mix Stock Cubes, Bisto Powder and Yeast Extract with 800mls boiling water and stir well. Pour over meatballs with the oxtail soup ensuring meatballs are fully covered.
Place lid on the cassorole dish and place in the oven for 2 hours. Check every half hour and give a gentle stir.
About 30 minutes before the end of the cooking place the potatoes in a saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20-25 mins until soft.
Drain the potatoes, add milk and butter aand mash until smooth. Stir in wholegrain mustard and serve with the meatballs and gravy.
If you like your gravy a bit thicker you can thicken it before serving by adding a little cornflour mixed with cold water.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Apple Rose Cake 3.8/5 (164 Votes)
- Parmentier de Confit de Canard 3.7/5 (144 Votes)
- Pork with Caramelised Apple and... 3.5/5 (158 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic chilli con carne 4.1/5 (116 Votes)
- Roasted Tomato Soup 3.4/5 (139 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.