Chicken with a Caramel Sauce
Lovely served with rice.
- 8 chicken thighs
- skinless and chopped in half
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 55ml dark soy sauce
- 110g brown sugar
- 55ml Thai fish sauce
- Black pepper
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Mix the chicken and oil together in a bowl.
Heat a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the chicken and cook for two minutes on one side until lightly browned. Turn and cook for another minute, then remove the chicken from the pan. You may need to cook the chicken in two batches.
Reduce the heat to medium and add a little extra oil if necessary. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the chicken back into the pan, season with black pepper, add the soy sauce and stir well. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Increase the heat to high, add the sugar and stir to combine. Cook, uncovered for 3-4 minutes, or until the sauce is rich, dark and syrupy.
Add the fish sauce and stir well.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Dumplings Without Using Suet 3.7/5 (344 Votes)
- Chicken and Mediterranean bake 5/5 (66 Votes)
- Stir fried Garlic Beef with Oyster... 3.5/5 (153 Votes)
- Vegetable Supercurry 3.4/5 (151 Votes)
- Prawn Dim Sum 4.4/5 (59 Votes)
- Thai Green Beef Curry with Eggplant 4.2/5 (73 Votes)
- Yellow Chicken Curry with Potatoes 3.4/5 (136 Votes)
- Easy Ham & Veggie Fried Rice 3.4/5 (128 Votes)