This pizza has a light bread base, topped with a tasty tomato sauce and grated mozzarella. It takes a little while to make the base, but it's delicious.
- serves 4
- for the base:
- 225g strong white bread flour
- half a teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon dried easy-blend yeast
- 150ml warm water which has been boiled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- a pinch of caster sugar
- half a teaspoon of dried oregano or mixed dried herbs
- salt and ground black pepper
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 150g ready-grated mozzarella or pizza cheese
- 50g peppoeroni or ham
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
sift the flour and the salt into a large mixing bowl, through a sieve. Then, add the yeast and stir in.
pour the warm water into a jug and add the oil.
stir everything with a wooden spoon, to make a soft dough. then, dust a clean work surface with flour.
put the dough on the work surface and knead it for 10mins. then, put it into a clean bowl.
cover the bowl with plastic foodwrap. leave it in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, until the dough rises to twice its original size. when you have put it in a warm place to rise, you can start to make the sauce.
peel and crush the garlic and put it into a saucepan with the olive oil. then, add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, herbs and a pinch each of salt and of pepper.
heat the sauce over a medium heat, stirring it often, for about 15 mins or until its really thick. then, take the pan off the heat and leave the sauce to cool.
when the dough has been in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, lift it out and put it on a floury surface. knead it for about a minute, to squeeze out any air bubbles.
put the dough back into the bowl and leave it in a warm place to rise again for about 40mins. Then, heat the oven to 200 oC.
using a paper towel, wipe a little oil over a large baking sheet. then, sprinkle more flour on the floury surface and on a rolling pin. put the dough on the surface.
roll out thne dough until it is about 30cm across, then lift it onto the baking sheet. spread the tomato sauce on it, leaving a border around the edge.
sprinkle the cheese over the pizza. arrange the pepperoni on the cheese.
bake the pizza in the oven for about 20mins, until the base is crisp and the cheese is golden brown and bubbling.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (156 Votes)
- homemade sausage rolls 3.4/5 (157 Votes)
- French Pizza 3.5/5 (143 Votes)
- Homemade Strawberry Ice... 4.6/5 (53 Votes)
- How to make the perfect pizza dough 3.5/5 (142 Votes)
- Saint marcellin cheese and ham... 3.7/5 (148 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.