Spicy Pumpkin Soup
A warming comforting soup for cold nights.
- 1 medium onion
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1 medium sized pumpkin
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 2 Bay leaves
- Chicken stock
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Finely chop the onion, celery and garlic and fry, using a tsp of vegetable oil or oil spray.
Add the cumin, hot paprika and smoked paprika to the onions and continue to cook until the spices become aromatic.
Peel and chop the carrot and pumpkin into 1 inch pieces and add to the mix. Stir the mixture to ensure it is well covered with the spices.
Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, black pepper and bay leaves. Give it another stir.
Pour chicken stock into the pan until it covers the vegetables and is about an inch above the vegetables.
Cover and simmer on a medium heat for 25 minutes.
Use a handblender to puree the soup, if it is too thick add more water until it is to the desired consistency. Cover and cook on a low heat for 20 more minutes.
Serve with a dash of worcestershire sauce.
A big pan is a must. I use a heavy cast iron casserole pot.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Dumplings Without Using Suet 3.7/5 (441 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic French onion soup 3.6/5 (361 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding “Sausage... 3.9/5 (211 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (175 Votes)
- Cold Beetroot Soup 5/5 (63 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.6/5 (161 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.