Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine Dip)
Vegetarian, Vegan, Dairy free, Gluten free
- 3 medium aubergines
- 1 mild red chilli
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/ tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 small onion - thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove - crushed
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Average budget
Prepare the onion, garlic and chives. Use tongs to toast the aubergine over a medium flame on the hob until charred. This should take about 15 minutes, until the skin is blackened. Then roast the chilli until it chars.
Allow the aubergines to cool. Then take a spoon and scrape out the flesh, discarding the skin. The flesh is then be placed in a sieve to drain for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, peel the chilli and chop, removing the seeds.
After 30 minutes, place the aubergine and chilli into a blender with a whisk attachment and whisk for 3 minutes.
Then heat the oils and cook the onion for a minute on a high heat. Pour the hot oil and onion back into the aubergine mixture and blend again. Add garlic, chives and a pinch of the salt. Blend again. Taste, add more salt if required.
Alternatively, grill the aubergines and chilli for a stronger flavour. The aubergine will take 70 minutes approximately, turning every 20 minutes until blackened. The chilli can be cooked for the last 10 minutes.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (237 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Tasty Southwest Quesadilla 3.9/5 (178 Votes)
- Chicken Caesar Salad 3.7/5 (182 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.6/5 (161 Votes)
- Roast Squash with Pear and Kiwi... 3.6/5 (157 Votes)
- Masala Fish Goujons with... 3.7/5 (147 Votes)
- Gluten-free No-bake Banoffee Pie 3.6/5 (148 Votes)