Spinach, Mozzarella & Ricotta Aubergine Rolls
- 1 calorie oil spray
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 aubergines
- cut into thin slices lengthways
- 1 clove of garlic
- 300g spinach
- 125g half-fat mozzarella
- 150g tub ricotta
- handful of parmesan
- 400g cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 salad onions
- generous pinch of sage
- generous pinch of ground nutmeg
- pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper
- to taste
- crusty bread and salad
- to serve
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Heat the oven to 200C. Slice the aubergines thinly lengthways and lightly spray with 1-calorie oil on both sides. Roast for 15 minutes, turning the slices halfway through.
Meanwhile heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan and add the cherry tomatoes when hot. Fry for 8-10 minutes, squishing the tomatoes as they start to break down. When a sauce-like consistency has been achieved, add a generous pinch of dried sage and the chopped garlic, a pinch of sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Stir for another couple of minutes and then put aside.
Wilt the spinach in a colander by pouring a kettle of boiling water over it, then squeeze it well to remove the water and set aside.
Mix the ricotta, mozzarella, nutmeg, chopped salad onions and spinach together in a bowl. Remove the aubergines from the oven and place each one on a flat surface, adding a teaspoon-sized dollop of the cheese mixture at the bottom and then rolling to make a parcel. Place the completed roll in a baking dish, folded side downwards, and repeat with all slices. Pour the tomato sauce around the outside and place back in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
Sprinkle the parmesan over the aubergine rolls and serve with crusty bread and green salad.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (173 Votes)
- Apple Rose Cake 3.8/5 (164 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (191 Votes)
- Light Spinach Flan without pastry 4.6/5 (56 Votes)
- Tomato and mozzarella sticks 3.3/5 (121 Votes)
- The Ultimate Three Cheeses Stuffed... 3.3/5 (124 Votes)
- Savoury Italian Tart 3.6/5 (93 Votes)
- Chestnut cream cheesecake 4.4/5 (55 Votes)