Bacon and cheese pasta
Bacon with mushrooms, leeks and pasta in a cheese sauce
- 200g Bacon - Cooking bacon is good when chopped into small chunks
- 100g Mushrooms - sliced
- 300g Pasta - I use Fusilli
- 1 Medium sized leek - sliced
- 2-3 Cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 1 Large or 2 medium onions - sliced thinly
- 1-2 Chicken oxo cubes
- 1 Heaped tablespoon Plain Flour
- 600ml Milk
- 25g Butter
- 50g Mature Cheddar
- Few sprigs of Thyme
- White or black pepper to taste
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Turn hob to a medium low heat. Melt butter in a large saucepan then add the onion(s)
Whilst onions are cooking, fry the bacon in a frying pan with a little oil until slightly crisp, about 5 minutes then set aside.
When onions are soft and translucent add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
Add the flour to the onions and stir until flour is cooked through and butter has been absorbed.
Turn the heat up a bit and add a few splashes of milk at a time to the sauce stirring constantly until all the milk has been used up.
Add the chicken oxo cubes, sliced mushrooms, leeks, bacon and thyme sprigs to the sauce and stir. Let it simmer for 15 mins.
Whilst the sauce is simmering gently boil the pasta iuntil cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Add the cheese and gently stir until the cheese has melted. If the sauce becomes too thick add a bit more milk and stir.
After 15 minutes discard the thyme sprigs. Drain the pasta and add to the cheese sauce mixture. Cook for another minute, season with pepper and serve!
You can add more salt but I find the bacon and oxo cubes give it enough seasoning.
You can add more cheese if it's not cheesy enough but be careful as this will thicken the sauce.
I serve it straight from the pan when I'm hungry but for pasta bake, bake in the oven with a sprinkle of cheese on top and a handful of breadcrumbs at 190C/gas 5 for 15 minutes until golden.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (456 Votes)
- 5 minute chocolate fondant mug... 3.7/5 (220 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- The best sarnie in the... 3.6/5 (160 Votes)
- Hearty meatball bake 3.4/5 (175 Votes)
- Full English Breakfast 3.4/5 (156 Votes)