Zingy Lemon Loaf Cake
Delicate Lemon Sponge with a zingy icing
- For the Cake
- 100g (3½ oz) Self Raising Flour
- 100g (3½ oz) Plain Flour
- 40g (1½ oz) Cornflour
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- 4 Eggs
- 200g (7oz) Caster Sugar
- 120ml Double Cream
- 60ml Lemon Juice
- 40g (1½ oz) Lemon Zest
- 90g (3¼ oz) Butter (melted)
- For the Soaking Syrup
- 120ml Lemon Juice
- 50g (2oz) Granulated Sugar
- For the Lemon Icing
- 200g (7oz) Icing Sugar
- 15g (½ oz) White Shortening (Trex)
- 30ml Lemon Juice
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Pre-heat the oven to 165°C, 325°F, Gas Mark 3 and grease and line a 1kg (2lb) loaf tin.
Whisk together the eggs and caster sugar. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest and double cream.
Sift the self raising flour, plain flour, cornflour and baking powder and fold into the wet mixture and add butter.
Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 35-45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
Allow to cool completely in the tin.
To prepare the soaking syrup bring the lemon juice and sugar to a boil in a heavy bottomed saucepan and then allow to cool until just warm.
Insert a skewer into the surface of the cake in several places and drizzle the syrup over the cake.
Allow the cake to cool completely and turn out on to a wire cooling rack.
To prepare the icing heat the lemon juice and shortening over a low heat and sifted icing sugar.
Pour this over the cooled cake and spread to an even thickness.
The cake can be decorated with crystallised lemon zest, coloured sugar granules or a small amount of the icing coloured yellow and piped across the cake.
To make crystallised lemon zest use the zest of 1 whole lemon and cook in equal parts of sugar and water until the zest is transparent. Drain the zest from the syrup and roll in granulated sugar.
To make coloured sugar granules just add a small amount of food colouring to granulated sugar until you get the desired colour.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Lemon Ice Lollies with Liquorice... 3.6/5 (138 Votes)
- The ultimate makeover: Fish & chips 4.1/5 (92 Votes)
- Brioche loaf 4.2/5 (67 Votes)
- Banana Loaf 3.4/5 (134 Votes)
- Loaf cake with feta cheese and... 4.5/5 (66 Votes)
- Marble cake with chestnuts and... 4/5 (79 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Lemon Sponge 3.1/5 (116 Votes)