- 350g plain flour
- 1-2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g butter or margarine
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
Put the flour, ginger and soda into a bowl and rub in the butter. Add sugar and stir in the syrup and egg to make a firm dough.
Roll out to about 5mm thick and cut out your gingerbread men. If you don't have a gingerbread man cutter then use whatever you have - stars and hearts are just as tasty.
Bake at 190 C /Gas 5 on greased baking trays (spaced out, as they will spread) for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Leave to firm up for a couple of minutes before placing on a wire rack to cook.
Swap the ginger for cinnamon or a few drops of vanilla essence if you don't like ginger. Swap golden syrup for treacle, if preferred.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (231 Votes)
- Easiest Shortbread Recipe EVER. 3.4/5 (204 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (202 Votes)
- Witchhat Gingerbread Cupcakes 4.6/5 (96 Votes)
- FOOD PORN Easy Chocolate Mousse 3.4/5 (201 Votes)
- Roast Squash with Pear and Kiwi... 3.6/5 (156 Votes)
- Pineapple and ginger cheesecake 3/5 (225 Votes)
- Mixed Spice Biscuits 3/5 (188 Votes)