Apple and Marzipan Crumble Cake
This recipe is inspired by one of my Christmas presents, The Kitchen Diaries II by Nigel Slater. I’ve always had a soft spot for crumble topped cakes, I love the combination of textures. The inclusion of apples in a cake also reminds me of the kinds of cakes my gran used to make that would have large pieces of tart plums or apples nestling in the soft, sweet sponge.
- 250g apple
- cored and cut in to small pieces
- 175g softened butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 255g plain flour
- 2 ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch ground cinnamon
- few drops vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of one lemon (optional)
- 100g marzipan broken into small pieces
- Crumble topping
- 110g Plain flour
- 75g butter
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Grease and line the base of a 22cm round cake tin.
2. Beat the butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy.
3. Break the eggs into a separate bowl, beat them gently then add to the butter and egg mixture.
4. Fold in the flour, cinnamon, vanilla extract and half of the apples and marzipan pieces then transfer the mixture to the prepared tin. Spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon or spatula.
5. Scatter the remaining marzipan and apple pieces on top of the cake mixture.
6. Quickly blitz together the crumble ingredients in the food processor or bring together by hand in a large bowl. You want the consistency of coarse breadcrumbs. Add a couple of drops of water to the mixture so that the crumbs look more like gravel then scatter over the cake with a little extra cinnamon and demerara sugar if you like.
7. Bake for about an hour in the oven or until a skewer comes out clean.
8. Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool before cutting into slices and enjoying with your cuppa.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (466 Votes)
- Mille-feuille of asparagus and... 3.3/5 (213 Votes)
- Cherry and Marzipan Scones 3.6/5 (164 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (168 Votes)
- Toffee Apple Cupcakes 3.6/5 (159 Votes)
- Peppermint Creams 3.7/5 (146 Votes)
- Apple & Orange Marmalade Cake 3.4/5 (152 Votes)
- Easy & Quick Apple Crumble 3.5/5 (128 Votes)