Apple and Lemon Verbena Syrup Sponge
Moist sponge cake soaked with delicious apple and lemon verbena syrup
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225g sugar
- 125 mL Vegetable Oil
- 125 mL water
- 2 Eggs
- 3 tbsp Lemon Curd
- 250g Sugar
- 250g Water
- 1 Apple
- 1 tbsp Chopped lemon verbena leaves
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Average budget
Grease and line two 7 inch round sponge cake pans. Preheat oven to 180C /gas mark 5
Place all the sponge ingredients in a food processor and mix to a smooth batter. (or beat well in a mixing bowl)
Divide the batter between the two pans and bake for approximately 25 mins until golden brown and springy to touch.
Remove from oven and turn out to cool on wire racks until cold.
Meanwhile make the apple verbena syrup. Peel the apple and cut into small 1cm cubes. Place in a saucepan with the sugar, water and lemon verbena leaves. Slowly heat whilst stirring until all the sugar is dissolved, then bring to the boil and boil until the syrup is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Strain the syrup through a sieve. Prick the cooled sponge cakes all over. Place the bottom half onto a plate and slowly drizzle over half the syrup. spread with the lemon curd and place the second sponge cake on top. Drizzle with the rest of the syrup.
Cut a slice and serve with hot custard!
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (455 Votes)
- Vanillekipferl 3.5/5 (165 Votes)
- Peppermint Creams 3.7/5 (142 Votes)
- Lemon Ice Lollies with Liquorice... 3.6/5 (137 Votes)
- The ultimate makeover: Fish & chips 4.1/5 (91 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Vanilla Sponge Cake with Chocolate... 4.2/5 (72 Votes)
- Autumn Cake (apple and parsnip... 3.4/5 (121 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Lemon Sponge 3.1/5 (115 Votes)