Krafne or Pokladnice (Homemade Doughnut Recipe)
- about ½ l (1 pint) warm milk
- 4 tsp sugar
- 80 g (3 oz) yeast
- 1 kg (2 lb) flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 100 g (3.5 oz) margarine
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp rum
- grated zest of 1 orange
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup apricot jam or jelly
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 5mins
Cost Average budget
Dissolve the sugar in warm milk, blend in the yeast and leave for 15 minutes. Mix together flour, yeast and remaining ingredients to make a dough. The dough needs to be very soft, similar to pizza dough.
Knead lightly on a floured board; shape into a ball, place in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
Punch dough down. On lightly floured board roll dough ¼ inch thick. Cut dough into 3-inch rounds. On half of the rounds place about 1 teaspoon of jam or jelly. Brush edge with a little egg white then top with remaining rounds of dough. Press to seal edges. Cover with cloth and let rise for 30 minutes or until double in bulk.
Preheat the oil in a deep fryer or skillet. Gently place the doughnuts into the oil, top side down, 3 to 4 at a time. Fry, turning several times, until golden all over. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Enjoy your doughnuts ya scoffs!!
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (201 Votes)
- Croque mademoiselle 3.5/5 (159 Votes)
- Love Heart Cookies 3.4/5 (167 Votes)
- Peppermint Creams 3.7/5 (142 Votes)
- homemade sausage rolls 3.4/5 (151 Votes)
- Sweet Dreamy Romantic Raspberry... 3.4/5 (152 Votes)
- Homemade Strawberry Ice... 4.6/5 (53 Votes)