Flaked Fish Curry with Tumeric and Cardamom
Gluten free, dairy free
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- crushed and chopped
- 1 knob fresh ginger
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander (ground)
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 fresh green chilies
- Small bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
- 450g cod fillets or alternative white fish (coley
- pollock etc)
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 50mins
Cost Average budget
Heat the oil in a frying pan capable of being covered. Then add the freshly chopped onion. Make sure the onion is coated with oil. Lower the heat and cover the frying pan. Sweat the onions for 10-12 minutes until glossy. Stir frequently.
Add the garlic and ginger to the onions and cook for one minute. Then add the cumin, coriander, cardamom, tomatoes with juices. Add the salt, green chilies, chopped coriander and lemon juice. Stir, then allow the mixture to boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, remove from the heat. Allow to cool. You can also leave for up to two hours if required. This allows the flavors to develop.
If the cod or fish is not yet prepared, poach or cook according to fish type until tender. Then cut into generous cubes.
Once you are ready, bring the curry mixture back to the heat and add the prepared fish. Simmer for a further 15 minutes.
Remove the fish curry from the heat and season with further lemon juice, salt and black pepper if required.
Best served with yoghurt (or dairy free equivalent,) pickles, Indian breads and fresh rice. Add yoghurt directly to the curry if required.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (192 Votes)
- Roast Squash with Pear and Kiwi... 3.6/5 (156 Votes)
- Chaing-Mai Sticky Rice with Mango 3.5/5 (146 Votes)
- Eleanor's Vegetable Egg Fried Rice 3.4/5 (147 Votes)
- Coriander chicken 3.3/5 (149 Votes)
- Butternut squash cake with jam 4.7/5 (30 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.