A lovely treacly, fruit-packed malt loaf, delicious as an afternoon snack!
This recipe makes 2 1lb loaves
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp malt extract
- 2 tbsp black treacle
- 25g butter
- 350g strong white bread flour
- plus extra for flouring
- 100g strong wholemeal flour
- pinch salt
- 14g fast action yeast
- 225g sultanas
- 250ml warm water
- 1 tbsp warm honey
- to glaze
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 120mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Place the sugar, malt extract, treacle and butter in a pan and heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Leave to cool.
Mix the flours, salt, yeast and sultanas in a mixing bowl.
Pour in the cooled malt syrup mixture and the warm water. Mix thoroughly, the mixture will be soft and sticky.
Turn the mixture on to a floured surface and knead gently for a few minutes to bring the mixture together.
Grease two 1lb loaf tins and divide the mixture among them. Smooth the mixture with the back of a spoon so that the top is smooth and level. Cover each tin with a plastic bag so that it is loose and not touching the top of the tin. Leave for a couple of hours, or until the dough has risen to the top of the tins.
Preheat the oven to 190c. Remove the plastic bags and bake for 30-40 minutes. If the top of the loaf starts to brown too quickly, cover with a sheet of foil and continue baking.
Remove from the oven and brush the tops with warm honey to glaze. Slice and eat with butter.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (205 Votes)
- Green Tea with Ginger, Honey and... 4.7/5 (49 Votes)
- Brioche loaf 4.2/5 (67 Votes)
- Banana Loaf 3.4/5 (134 Votes)
- sticky toffee pudding 3.3/5 (126 Votes)
- Sweet and Savoury Asparagus... 3.4/5 (127 Votes)
- Fruit & spice soda bread 4.4/5 (12 Votes)