Carrot cupcakes with cream cheese icing
Yummy moist carrot cupcakes complemented by cream cheese icing
- 100g brown caster sugar
- 75g brown muscovado sugar
- 100g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- zest of 1 orange or small pink grapefruit
- 2 eggs
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 200g grated carrots (3 small)
- For the icing
- 50g butter
- 150g soft cheese
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 22mins
Cost Average budget
Heat oven to 180C or gas mark 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cases.
Mix the sugar, flour, bicarb of soda, mixed spice and orange/grapefruit zest in a large bowl.
Whisk together the eggs and oil, and add to the dry ingredients with the grated carrot. Put the mixture into the cases in the muffin tray and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a skewer poked in comes out clean. Cool before icing.
To make the icing, beat the butter until really soft, then beat in the soft cheese, icing sugar and vanilla.
If the mixture is too runny, put it in the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes before spreading on the cakes. Use mixed lemon and orange peel to decorate.
Icing quantities should be tried and tested to suit your tastes. I don't like too much icing so you could even double the amounts.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (460 Votes)
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.7/5 (231 Votes)
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Tasty Southwest Quesadilla 3.9/5 (178 Votes)
- Witchhat Gingerbread Cupcakes 4.6/5 (96 Votes)
- Mille-feuille of asparagus and... 3.3/5 (213 Votes)
- Fish with leeks 3.7/5 (171 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)