Wholemeal Rolls (with Butternut Squash)
Tasty low cal rolls.
- 400g Butternut Squash (peeled
- de-seeded & chopped)
- 1 tbls. Olive Oil
- 1.5 tsps. Salt
- 1.5 tbls. Sugar
- 350g Wholemeal Flour (plus extra for kneading)
- 7g (sachet) Fast Acting Yeast
- a pinch of grated Nutmeg
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
Cost Average budget
Steam the squash for 20 - 30 minutes until tender. Put in a bowl & add the oil, salt, sugar and 4 tbls. cold water. Blend to a puree.
Put the flour in a large bowl and stir in the yeast & nutmeg. Add the puree, mix together then tip out and knead for 10 minutes (soft & sticky). Put back in the bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about an hour (until doubled ish).
Tip on to a lightly floured surface and punch back the air (knock back).
Divide into 10 and shape into rolls.
Line a grease & floured tray (or use parchment paper) place the rolls on the tray. Cover and leave to rise (prove) for around 30 minutes.
Preheat an oven to 160°C
Bake the rolls for 15 -20 minutes until the bottoms sound hollow when tapped with knuckles. Cool on a wire rack (keeps for 3 - 4 days or freeze for 3 months --- You can also use mashed potatoes in bread as well).
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Tomato Basil and Cheese scrambled... 3.8/5 (224 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (202 Votes)
- Messy Breakfast Sandwich 3.7/5 (155 Votes)
- Croque mademoiselle 3.5/5 (160 Votes)
- Thai style turkey burgers with... 3.5/5 (154 Votes)
- Easy Peasy Garlic Bread 4.6/5 (58 Votes)
- Healthy homemade thai prawn curry 3.7/5 (118 Votes)