Blackberry and Apple Cupcakes
An apple and chocolate chip sponge topped off by blackberry cream cheese icing, these are perfect autumnal fare. The icing makes a generous amount, so use half the quantities if a less lavish topping is required. For something a little less extravagant, you can of course leave out the chocolate.
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes and is shared from my blog Chocolate Log Blog
- 100g unsalted butter
- 140g caster sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 110g wholemeal flour
- 115g white flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 75 ml Buttermilk or yogurt (I used sour milk)
- 3 (about 300g) Windfall apples - peeled
- finely sliced or grated
- 50g Dark chocolate - chopped into chips (I used blackberry & ginger)
- The icing:
- 100g Unsalted butter
- 150g Icing sugar
- 100g Cream cheese - drained of any liquid
- 100g Blackberries + 12 to decorate
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
1. Cream the butter until very light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the eggs (one by one) and vanilla extract if using.
3. Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir in.
4. Add the buttermilk, yogurt or sour milk and stir gently.
5. Add the apple and chocolate pieces and stir gently until just incorporated.
6. Spoon into 12 cupcake cases and bake at 180°C for about 20 minutes or when well risen and golden. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
7. Simmer the blackberries in a pan with no added water for a few minutes until juicy. Mash and push through a sieve to extract as much juice as possible. Leave to cool.
8. Cream the 2nd lot of unsalted butter with the icing sugar until very light and fluffy.
9. Briefly beat in the cream cheese until just incorporated.
10. Stir in the cooled blackberry juice until just incorporated, or leave streaky if desired. Spread onto the cooled cupcakes and top with a blackberry.