Elderberry and Blackberry Jam
- 1.5 rounded cups blackberries
- 1.5 scant cups elderberries
- 1.5 cups sugar
- Pectin: 2 small apples boiled down to 1/2 cup liquid
Level of difficulty Difficult
Cost Average budget
Make pectin by chopping up two tart apples, and boiling them in a little water for 20 mins. Strain and set aside.
Boil (can use microwave) and mash fruit.
Heat jars in a water bath in the oven.
Strain liquid into jam pan and boil with sugar and pectin. When it reaches a rolling boil, pour jam directly into hot jars and seal.
Let jars cool slowly. Test to see which ones seal, and keep those that don't in the fridge.
Note: in general you want 450g sugar per 600 ml liquid, (1lb sugar per pint),(2.25 cups to 2.5 cups).
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Kinder Bueno Cake 4.2/5 (458 Votes)
- Apple kiwi turnovers 3.7/5 (202 Votes)
- homemade sausage rolls 3.4/5 (153 Votes)
- Homemade Strawberry Ice... 4.6/5 (53 Votes)
- Homemade Pickle 4.6/5 (45 Votes)
- Apple and Blackberry Crumble... 3.8/5 (101 Votes)
- Cherry Jam 2.9/5 (124 Votes)
- Gluten-Free Apple & Blackberry... 2.5/5 (79 Votes)