Malai Chicken (Chicken in coconut milk)
By Joydeep Pal
Malai chicken is a main dish which is favourite among different parts of India. It has different names across different areas. This curry tastes little sweeter owing to the coconut milk but can be made hot or medium depending on the amount of chillies.
- 1 kg Chicken (washed and medium pcs)
- 200 ml Coconut Milk
- 3 or 4 Green Chillies
- 2 tablespoons of Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tomato
- 4-6 tablespoons of Oil : Mustard (preferred)/Sunflower oil
- Medium Size Onion: 2 nos
- Cummin Whole(Jeera): 1/4 teaspoon
- Cinnamon (Darchini): 1/4 of a stick
- Cardamom (Elaichi): 3 small one
- Clove (Labongo/laung): 3
- Black pepper powder (Golmorich) : 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam Masala: ½ teaspoon
- Cumin powder (Jeera): 1 table-spoon
- Turmeric powder (Halud/Haldi): 1 tea-spoon
- Sugar: 1 tea-spoon
- Salt to Taste
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Mix the chicken in bowl with the following ingredients, coconut milk, ginger garlic paste, onion paste, cummin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, chopped tomato and salt along with 3 tablespoons of oil . Keep it aside to marinade for 30mins.
Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the chopped onions till they start turning golden and keep them separate.
Then, add the cummin, black pepper, cardamom, clove and cinnamon to fry little bit.
Add green chillies and then add the marinated chicken slowly mixing in the pan. Put a lid and cook in the medium heat/flame for 10 mins.
Keep checking at regular interval so that the bottom doesn’t get stuck at the bottom. If the chicken is more than half cooked, then add some water and cook till they are fully cooked.
Enjoy the food served hot.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- FOOD PORN Duck breast in orange sauce 3.5/5 (252 Votes)
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Mango chutney 3.6/5 (161 Votes)
- Best Bolognese 3.5/5 (144 Votes)
- Vegetable Supercurry 3.4/5 (152 Votes)
- Chaing-Mai Sticky Rice with Mango 3.5/5 (146 Votes)
- Kinder Bueno Cake 3.3/5 (159 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic chilli con carne 4.1/5 (116 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.