Varenyky (Ukrainian stuffed dumplings)
By bucher marie josé
- For the stuffing:
- 400 g veal (or chicken or turkey fillets)
- 400 g pork
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- For the dough:
- 1 kg of flour
- 1 egg
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Average budget
Mince the meat, but not too finely (preferably with a manual mincer).
Chop the herbs finely.
Boil a large pot of salted water.
Make the dough:
- Mix the flour with 1/2 a cup of water + salt + egg
- mix until your dough is similar to a pastry dough.
Let the dough to rest for a quarter of an hour or more (it will not make a difference).
Roll out the dough: Cut out big squares 10x10 cm. Add a dollop of stuffing (about 2 tablespoons), close into a triangle with a little water to stick the edges together.
Once the water is boiling, plunge the varenyky into the pot and cook them for at least 10 minutes.
These dumplings can be eaten plain (as the juice from the meat give a lot of flavour and keep them moist) or you can serve them with a home-made tomato sauce or simply with a little melted butter.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Foie gras and leeks cooked "à la... 4/5 (196 Votes)
- Baigan Choka (Caribbean Aubergine... 3.3/5 (192 Votes)
- Chicken Caesar Salad 3.7/5 (176 Votes)
- Pork with Caramelised Apple and... 3.5/5 (161 Votes)
- Devilled Eggs 3.9/5 (119 Votes)
- Kiwi strawberry lollipops 3.8/5 (152 Votes)
- Soft potato muffins with spring... 4.5/5 (82 Votes)
- Battered Chicken Goujons 3.8/5 (86 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
In this video, we show you the best way to trim and tie a roast, all by yourself! You don't need the butcher or supermarket to do it for you when it's so easy to do it at home.