Dumplings Without Using Suet
Suet is fat. You can make dumplings equally well by using your normal margarine, fat or even butter! Simply substitute the suet.
This will work equally well for dumplings in stew, or even if you want to make a sweet dumpling. The dumpling recipe is for dumplings to drop into a stew.
- 180 grams of Self Raising flour (or plain flour + 2 teaspoons of baking powder).
- A large pinch of salt
- 60 grams of fat (lard/margarine/butter)
- 80-100ml milk (enough to make a soft dough)
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Cut up the fat into small pieces and drop it into the flour, using a knife, just mix the flour and fat/butter together until it’s as small as possible.
Add the salt and mix through.
Slowly add the milk into the mix until your dumplings are firm, but not wet. If you add too much milk, then just throw in a spoonful of flour. This is where most mistakes might occur, you really need to move the dumpling mix around in your bowl to get it all mixed up, rather than feeling lazy and putting in too much of the milk.
Using floured hands, or a large floured spoon, make your dumplings. They should be firm, but not compressed/squashed.
Bring your stew to the boil, making sure there’s enough liquid for the dumplings to swim in – or you can just make up a gravy on its own in a saucepan with a couple of stock cubes and water. Drop the dumplings into the liquid and bring to the boil, cover the saucepan with a lid. After 10 minutes carefully flip each dumpling over and put the lid back on. After another 10 minutes the dumplings should be ready to eat… and lovely and fluffy.
If the dumplings turn out a bit solid, then try to use a bit less milk next time, or make sure you’re not squashing your dumplings too tight, or make sure there’s enough liquid for them and enough room for them to expand.
If they’re a bit squidgy in the middle, then the same rules apply, or maybe they need another 5 minutes!
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Healthy Ratatouille 3.7/5 (175 Votes)
- Lamb Samosa 3.3/5 (188 Votes)
- Stir fried Garlic Beef with Oyster... 3.5/5 (156 Votes)
- Thai style turkey burgers with... 3.5/5 (157 Votes)
- Vegetable Supercurry 3.4/5 (152 Votes)
- Oil-free mayonnaise 3.5/5 (160 Votes)
- Sweet Peanut Sauce 3.5/5 (140 Votes)
- Low Fat Cranberry & Walnut Muffins 4.2/5 (79 Votes)