Seared scallops & creamy mash with crispy bacon and sage.
Juicy pan-seared scallops and salty, crisp bacon – this recipe is the perfect surf and turf marriage.
- 400 g Maris Piper potatoes
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 60 g piece of thick smoked bacon
- 6 scallops
- shelled and trimmed
- 2 knobs of unsalted butter
- 75 ml semi-skimmed milk
- olive oil
- a few sprigs of fresh sage
- ½ a lemon
Level of difficulty Easy
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
Quarter the potatoes, halving any smaller ones, then place in a large pan and cover with cold salted water. Place over a high heat and bring to the boil, then cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender.
Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, roughly chop the bacon into chunky lardons, roughly ½cm thick. Score the scallops in a criss-cross fashion about 1cm deep on one side, season with a pinch of salt, then set aside.
Drain and allow the potatoes to steam dry, then return to the empty pan with the milk, a knob of butter and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mash until smooth, then cover until needed.
Heat a splash of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, then add the bacon and fry for around 2 minutes, or until golden. Move the bacon to one side of the pan, then pick the sage leaves into the space. Cook for 1 minute, or until crisp, then move to the side of the pan along with the bacon. Add the remaining butter and the scallops, cut-side down, to the empty space. Cook for around 2 minutes, or until golden, turning halfway.
Remove from the heat, add a squeeze of lemon juice and toss to coat, allowing the scallops to cook in the hot pan for a further 30 seconds. Divide the creamy mash between plates, then spoon over the scallops, bacon, sage and any lovely juices from the pan, then tuck in.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Parmentier de Confit de Canard 3.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Pasta with wine sauce and peas 3.5/5 (132 Votes)
- Baked turkey meatballs with... 3.4/5 (137 Votes)
- Cheats Carbonara 3/5 (164 Votes)
- Sweet Potato bites 3.4/5 (128 Votes)
- Swede and Bacon Gratin 2.9/5 (148 Votes)
- Clonakilty Blackpudding And... 3.2/5 (120 Votes)