- 450g lean minced lamb
- 450g lean minced beef
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 250g onions (finely chopped)
- Garlic clove (peeled and crushed)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (finely chopped)
- 12½g flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 75ml red wine
- 25ml Worcestershire sauce
- 500ml beef stock
- Pre-cooked mashed potato (enough to cover)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 100mins
Cost Average budget
Season lamb and beef in a large bowl.
Put 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Cook meat in batches until browned. Drain in colander to remove excess fat.
Heat remaining oil in pan (medium heat). Add onion, garlic and thyme. Fry until soft but not brown.
Add mince. Sprinkle in flour and add tomato puree. cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add red wine, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
Strain off 200ml of cooking sauce and keep. Continue simmering meat until liquid has almost completely reduced. Remove from heat, season to taste and allow to cool.
Preheat oven to 200oC.
Put meat into one or more dishes and top with mashed potato.
Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes until the potato topping is golden, crisp and the filling is bubbling up.
Serve with reserved sauce on the side.
Like these recipes? Then you'll love
- Quick Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe... 3.3/5 (211 Votes)
- Traditional Family Fish Pie 4/5 (110 Votes)
- Gluten-free No-bake Banoffee Pie 3.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Full English Breakfast 3.4/5 (156 Votes)
- Zigeuner Sauce (Gypsy Sauce) 3.4/5 (151 Votes)
- Beef and red wine ragu 3.5/5 (143 Votes)
- Approved byThe Chef Classic chilli con carne 4.1/5 (116 Votes)
- Cevapi Bosnian kebab 3.4/5 (148 Votes)